Why Dental Fillings?
When a cavity, decay, or injured tooth is left untreated, decay can spread past the tooth enamel into deeper levels of the tooth and into the pulp. If the decay reaches the soft enamel or dental pulp, the following treatment may be a root canal treatment or extraction. It is important to get tooth fillings before the area gets too large to fill.
Composite fillings are widely used today to repair teeth because they are more aesthetically suited for use in front teeth and the more visible areas.
What causes you to get a filling at the dentist?
- Chipped teeth
- Closing space between two teeth
- Cracked or broken teeth
- To restore decayed teeth
- Worn teeth
What to Expect
Composite tooth fillings are designed to match the color of your teeth and repair cracks, fractures, decay, and cavities. Regardless of where you need a filling, your tooth will look as natural as before the damage.
Be aware of the following things before your visit; they are the top five signs that you may need a dental filling:
- Toothache or pain when biting down
- Sensitive to hot or cold
- Pain when eating or drinking
- Bad breath
- Visible holes, pits, or black/brown discoloration
During TreatmentGetting a filling is a relatively pain-free experience. In most cases, your mouth will be numbed while the procedure occurs. These can usually be completed in one visit, depending on the number of cavities you need to be filled.
You should always practice good oral hygiene, taking care of your fillings. Here are some tips for a tooth filling aftercare and steps to extending the life of your filling:
- Brush thoroughly twice a day with fluoride toothpaste, floss daily, and use alcohol-free mouthwash to reduce bacteria
- Limit sugary, sticky snacks
- Don’t use tobacco products
- Limit food and drinks that stain coffee, soda, juice, wine, and tea. Rinse your mouth with water afterward
- Avoid biting down on hard foods and chewing ice
- See a dentist once or twice a year for dental checkups and cleanings
Your First Visit
Modern DentistryAll the latest technology can be found at our New York dental offices.
Judgment-Free OfficeWe're here to help you feel confident in your smile. We provide a safe, judge-free zone for any dental issue or concern you have.
On Your ScheduleTaking care of your dental health should fit within your schedule. We are open late and on weekends so you can get the care you need.
With hundreds of 5-star reviews, need we say more?
Frequently Asked Questions
Metal and tooth-colored.